Berlin – There was good news to report on Friday evening as Niklas Stark agreed an early three-year contract extension, keeping him at the club until 2022. “It’s very good news for Hertha BSC. Niklas has developed very well with us and he can still develop even further. He is certainly one of the most promising German players in his age group and we’re delighted to have tied him down to a long-term deal,” said sporting director Michael Preetz. The 21-year-old defender is also thrilled to have signed a new contract. “Getting this done early is a sign of how much I feel at home here at Hertha BSC and in Berlin. The club has put a tremendous amount of trust in me and I very much want to continue my development here,” said Stark.
The Germany U21 international joined the Blue-Whites from 1. FC Nürnberg in summer 2015. Stark, who can play at centre back or in holding midfield, has made 46 competitive appearances for Hertha to date, scoring three goals. He has missed just two league games so far this season, both due to suspension. Otherwise he has started every match in Pál Dárdai’s team. His previous deal was due to expire in 2019.